Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
from food preserving yahoo group.
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb beef roast
- Note - any red meat that can be sliced will work.
- . In a small glass bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the.
- meat/poultry. Mix thoroughly.
- . Place a layer of meat/poultry in a glass baking dish, spoon sauce mixture.
- over each layer.
- . Repeat until meat/poultry is 3-4 layers deep in the dish.
- . Cover tightly and marinate for 6-12 hours in the refrigerator or overnight. Stir occasionally to keep the meat/poultry coated in marinade. The longer the meat/poultry stays in the marinade, the more the flavor will be absorbed into it.
- . Remove the meat/poultry from the marinade, removing excess marinade.
- . Lay the meat/poultry evenly onto the dehydrator trays, leaving 1/4" (0.6.
- cm) space between each strip of meat/poultry.
- . Dry meat/poultry at 145-150°F (63-66°C) for 4-7 hours or until thoroughly.
- NOTE: When using a Dehydrator, check the temperature of the Dehydrator with a dial thermometer before drying jerky. The minimum recommended temperature for drying meats is 145°F (63°C).
- Temperatures below 145°F (63°C) are not recommended.
- IMPORTANT: Before you place the meat in a dehydrator, it is highly.
- recommended to heat the meat to 160°F (71°C) BEFORE the dehydrating process. This step assures that any bacteria present will be destroyed by wet heat.
- After heating to 160°F (71°C), maintain a constant dehydrator temperature of 130-140°F (55-60°C) during the drying process. You may need to blot fat.
- droplets from the surface of the meat occasionally using a paper towel.
- Drying times may vary based on many circumstances including but not limited to: the relative humidity of the room, the temperature of the meat at the beginning of the drying process, the amount of meat in the dehydrator,.
- leanness of meat, etc.
- Always allow Jerky to cool before taste testing.