Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
In South Africa we braai instead of barbeque, but it "boils" down to the same method. We prefer an open fire to a barbeque kettle but this recipe will work equally well which ever method is being used. This is a quick way of adding vegetables to your braai and so easy that the kids love to do this as part of their duties.
- Cut off the top third section of each gem sqaush. Keep the lid to replace later.
- Remove all the pips with a teaspoon.
- Fill eash gem sqaush with sweet corn, clump of butter, garlic and grated cheese.
- Replace the lid and wrap each gem sqaush with foil.
- Place in coals.
- The squashes are ready when soft at touch.
I am an American living in SA and had no idea how to cook gem squash! I tried with corn & cheese but adding garlic & butter per your instruction made it delicious. My husband said that this is a keeper for our next braii. Thank you!!