Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe I found in my ancient Commonsense Cookery Book. My mum used to make these, not sure what recipe she used but I do have her old gem irons. I wasn't sure how these would work without gem irons, which are cast iron and about the size of mini muffin pans but with round shapes, but looking at an Australian website with very oldtime recipes, it mentioned using patty pans in one of their gem scone recipes. I haven't made these but I remember my mum's being as light as feather and melt in your mouth perfect.
- 1 1⁄4 cups self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, level
- 1 egg
- 155 ml milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar, level
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C (400 deg F).
- Heat gem irons.
- Cream butter and sugar; add egg, beat well then add milk.
- Lastly add sifted flour and mix in lightly.
- Spoon into heated, greased gem irons.
- Cook 7 to 10 minutes.
- Best served warm with butter.