Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This delicious combination is easy to prepare. If you use frozen veggies you can cut the prep time in half too! It makes a very colorful presentation too, as the many colored veggies look like Gems or like it was lit up with electric neon lights :) Note: Here's a time saving tip. You can substitue 2 cups of Birdseye frozen pepper stirfry for the peppers and onions. This brand I discovered contains strips of red, yellow, and green bell peppers as well as onion. This can be a real time saver!
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- 1 1⁄4 lbs raw italian link pork sausage (I used hot but use sweet if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 lb asiago cheese, shreaded
- 1 cup sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups large diced pumpkin or 2 cups winter squash (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup large diced red sweet bell pepper (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup large diced green bell pepper (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup large diced yellow bell pepper (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- oil (for frying)
- Place sausage in large covered fry pan/ skillet.
- Fill with water so that water goes half way up the sides of the sausage.
- Bring to boiling point cover and reduce to simmer.
- Cook sausage until done, about 30 to 45 minutes depending on thickness of sausage.
- Watch carefully and add water as needed.
- Water tends to evaporate and leave grease from sausage behind.
- This is OK If you catch it during the last few minutes of cooking.
- (if you have melted grease left behind from the cooking sausage reserve it for the end of the recipe) Just be careful you don't burn it.
- Dice the cooked sausage and set aside.
- Cook pasta to desired tenderness per package directions.
- Place cooked pasta in a very large past bowl and toss with the diced sausage.
- In large frying pan/ skillet add a small amount of oil about 1/4 cup.
- Fry the corn, pumpkin, and peppers until just tender.
- Don't over cook or veggies will loose their bright colors.
- Add garlic the last few minutes of frying veggies.
- Garlic fries quickly and you don't want it to burn.
- Season with salt to taste.
- When veggies and garlic are done, turn heat down low and add the can of evaporated milk and the Asiago cheese to the veggies.
- Cook stirring constantly just until the Asiago cheese melts.
- If you have any grease reserved from cooking the sausage add it now.
- If you used hot sausage, the reserved grease will have an orange tint and add color as well as flavor!
- Don't worry if the sauce looks a little curdled, it will look fine once it's on the pasta.
- As soon as cheese is melted in the milk and veggie mixture, immediately pour it over the pasta& sausage mixture and toss to coat well.
- Serve immediately while nice and warm.
This was delicious! I had been meaning to give this one a try for ages and it was worth the wait. Very colorful and the sauce was creamy without being heavy. I was a bit worried about the sausage boiling part, but it came out great. NOTE: I added the onions along with the peppers and instead of ordinary salt, I used seasoned salt.