1/1 Photo of Gelson's Vegetable Chili
1 hr 10 mins
lynnski / LA's Note:
This popular chili is sold in the deli section of Gelson's Market, and the recipe has been published in the LA Times. I've been making it for years because it's delicious; however it's also healthy. I suggest serving it with cornbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cubed celery
- 1/2 cup cubed carrot
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1Cook beans according to package directions, or substitute with (2) 14 ounce cans of beans.
- 2Pour bulgar into a bowl and add one cup of boiling water; let soak for 30 minutes.
- 3Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute onions and carrots 4 minutes.
- 4Add garlic and celery and saute until glazed.
- 5Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne, basil and oregano.
- 6Add diced tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 7Add squash, zucchini, red and green peppers and mushrooms.
- 8Cook 4 minutes.
- 9Add bulgar and kidney beans with liquid.
- 10Simmer for 20 minutes to let flavors marry.
- 11Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gelson's Vegetable Chili
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.8
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 59.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g