This popular chili is sold in the deli section of Gelson's Market, and the recipe has been published in the LA Times. I've been making it for years because it's delicious; however it's also healthy. I suggest serving it with cornbread.
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup cubed celery
- 1⁄2 cup cubed carrot
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Cook beans according to package directions, or substitute with (2) 14 ounce cans of beans.
- Pour bulgar into a bowl and add one cup of boiling water; let soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute onions and carrots 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and celery and saute until glazed.
- Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne, basil and oregano.
- Add diced tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add squash, zucchini, red and green peppers and mushrooms.
- Cook 4 minutes.
- Add bulgar and kidney beans with liquid.
- Simmer for 20 minutes to let flavors marry.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.