Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious make-ahead salad, which is sold in the Deli case at Gelson's Market here in Los Angeles.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 cup red seedless grapes
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, oriental type
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a 1 quart saucepan, stir in bulgur, cover pan, remove from heat, and let stand until the bulgur is softened, at least 15 minutes.
- Drain bulgur, transfer to a large bowl, add remaining salad ingredients (except dressing) and toss to combine.
- For the dressing, place dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Can be made a day ahead, keep refrigerated.
I've been making this recipe for a few years and it's always a big hit. I am often requested to make it when we go to friends' homes or to family gatherings. Not only is it delicious, it is easy to make, has a nice crunchy texture and a beautiful colorful presentation. Tip: make sure the red seedless grapes are firm and sweet. I prefer them to be small in size. If the grapes are large, I cut them in half, but make sure they are sweet. This recipe is a keeper.
This is a wonderful salad. Great for a potluck. Thanks.