Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Flying Dutchess' ice cream for ZWT 4. This is divine and a duchess' worthy. Just try it and indulge!
- 250 g mascarpone
- 200 ml cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 orange, zest of
- 100 ml cream
- 100 g white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut, grated
- 4 -6 ice cream wafers
- Whip 200 ml of cream.
- Stir together the mascarpone and the milk. Add the cocoa and the orange zest.
- Carefully mix in the cream.
- Put this mixture in the icecream maker. And let turn 5-10 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and the pistachios to the mixture in the icecream maker.
- Let turn until done. Pour in a container and freeze for a few more hours.
- At serving time, make the sauce.
- Pour the cream and the chocolate chips in a glass bowl and melt over a hot water bath. When you have a smooth sauce add the grated coconut.
- Put 2-3 scoops of icecream in a beautiful bowl, pour some hot sauce over and decorate with an ice cream wafer.
- You can add some fresh fruit if you like.
For me this was spot on...........I am not a lover of overly sweet desserts, so this had all that I needed....fruit, nuts and cream as well as delicious mascarpone. The cocount also added natural sweetness to the sauce, which enhanced the gelato. I used my ice cream maker and it worked perfectly! I MIGHT omit the cranberries next time, as I think that this was just perfect with the nuts and orange! Made for ZWT4 - merci Maito! FT:-)
This was okay. I did make a few changes... there was no sugar listed and we tasted it without it and ended up adding 1.25 cups of powdered sugar. It didn't need any extra cream or milk, so I wonder if the poster just forgot this? Otherwise, it's not very sweet at all. Even the little bit you get from the orange zest and cranberries. With the sugar, it was pretty good. We made the sauce, but forgot to include it for the photo. It was good with the sugar added, but a little too busy. If we make again, I think we'll leave out the nuts and cranberries and just use the orange and chocolate. Oh yes, we also added 2 tsp of cocoa powder because the kids wanted it more chocolaty.