Recipe by grandma2969
this is a great make ahead recipe to mail for Christmas as a gift from your kitchen I live to make different flavors and then combine a mixture for gift giving
- 1 1⁄3 cups applesauce
- 2 (1 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 6 ounces fruit flavored gelatin
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice concentrate
- sugar, for rolling when dried
Directions See How It's Made
- prepare 9x5" loaf pan by filling halfway with cold water and set aside.
- in a 2 quart saucepan, combine all ingredients, except the sugar for rolling --
- heat to boiling and boil for one minute.stirring frequently to prevent sticking and burning --
- pour out water in loaf pan and immediately pour cooked gelatin mixture into wet pan.
- when loaf pan is cool enough to handle, refrigerate about 3 hours or until candy is very firm.
- you may refrigerate longer, even overnight.
- cut the candy into 1" square pieces with a knife that has been dipped in cold water.
- this helps to prevent the candy from sticking.
- remove candy piece by piece from the pan and place on cooling racks.
- allow to air dry for at least 8 hours.
- DO NOT COVER CANDY.
- when candy pieces have dried, roll each square in a bowl full of granulated sugar until all sides are coated.
- store in tin cans.
- You will get about 45-50 squares from each batch.
- when using orange or peach gelatin, add 1 tsp cinnamon for extraordinary flavor.