2 hrs 30 mins
I found this in a magazine about 2 years ago. I have served it 3 or 4 times and it always comes out wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -8 lbs veal roast, breast,cut with a pocket,bones between the ribs cracked
- ground black pepper
- vegetable oil or olive oil, for brushing
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 6 slices slightly stale challah or 6 slices white bread
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt, about
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons schmaltz
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1For Stuffing; Soak the bread in water until moist.
- 2Drain, squeeze dry, and tear into small pieces.
- 3Add the egg and seasonings.
- 4Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 5Add the celery, onion, and garlic and saute until softened (5 to 10 minutes).
- 6Stir into the bread mixture and let cool.
- 7Makes about 2 1/2 cs.
- 8Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 9Wash the veal and pat dry.
- 10Sprinkle the outside of the veal and inside the pocket with salt and pepper.
- 11Loosely fill the pocket with the stuffing and sew up or secure with skewers.
- 12Brush the veal with the oil.
- 13Spread the vegetables in the bottom of a shallow roasting pan and place the veal on top.
- 14Or place the veal on a rack in the pan.
- 15Roast for 30 minutes.
- 16Reduce the heat to 325 degrees and continue cooking until the meat is fork tender and a meat thermometer registers 175 degrees in thickest portion, about 2 hours or 25 to 30 minutes per pound.
- 17Let the meat stand at least 15 minutes before carving.
- 18Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 19VARIATIONS: Rub the veal with garlic or cut slits all over the meat and insert little pieces of garlic.
- 20Braised Veal Breast: After roasting for 30 minutes, add 1 cup dry white wine or water, cover, and cook until tender.
- 21Honey-Glazed Veal Breast: After cooking for 2 hours, uncover, combine 1 cup orange juice and ¼ cup honey, and brush over the veal.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gefullte Kalbbrust (Ashkenazic Stuffed Veal Breast)
Serving Size: 1 (562 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 915.6
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 365.8 mg
- Sodium 984.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 82.9 g