Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A German stew for ZWT '05. Comfort food as the weather turns colder. Finally.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry port wine or 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 lemons, sliced thickly
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 dash wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 lbs roast chicken (just the meat, cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed non-reactive saucepan. Add the chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the flour, and cook until the roux is golden brown. Pour in the beef stock and port. Add lemon slices, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Allow the sauce to cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour through a fine strainer, test for seasoning, and add vinegar and salt or pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken pieces and heat over a low flame.
- Serve with rice, noodles, biscuits, or rustic bread.