2 hrs 45 mins
Here is a recipe I found way back in an old looseleaf cookbook. The recipe was given to me by a Jewish friend, now long since gone. I have not made them but I have tasted her's and they were wonderful. I can not vouch for the authenticity of the recipe just the source.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs fish scraps (bones, heads gills removed, skin from carp or other white fish)
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 3 lbs carp or 3 lbs other fresh water white fish fillets
- 3 eggs, beaten just a little bit
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal or 2 tablespoons some cracker meal
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups peeled carrots, cut into chunks
- prepared horseradish, to serve
- 1Cover the fish scraps, in a large pot with water-- about 4 inches above the scraps.
- 2add apprx 1/3 onions, bring to a boil & reduce heat, cook for 45 minutes, Strain out the fish scraps.
- 3If you have a food processor that's good- put in the raw fish filets and remaining onions, go on-off until coarsely chopped, don't overdo it.
- 4Add eggs lightly beaten, a bit at a time & go on after each addition.
- 5Add Matzo meal and 1/2 cup of water.
- 6Process, the mixture should be light, smooth and the consistency almost fluffy If it looks too dry add a little more water- just a bit at a time.
- 7Season well with salt & pepper.
- 8Drop the carrots into the fish stock.
- 9Wet your hands and shape the fish mixture into oval balls like an egg and gently lower them into the simmering stock, put them all in the pot.
- 10They are happy being crowded in.
- 11Cover the pot and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- 12Let the fish balls cool in the liquid when cooled remove fish balls & carrots to a platter.
- 13Reduce stock to about 2 cups.
- 14Strain stock over the fish balls cover and refrigerate.
- 15Remove Fishballs 30 minutes before serving from the fridger.
- 16Serve with some of the fish jelly a carrot piece and plenty of horseradish.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gefilte Fish
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.6
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 191.6 mg
- Sodium 140.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 33.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: