Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the first mac and cheese I've ever made that didn't separate and get oily for me. I saw this being made on the local news a few weeks back,so I went to the website they posted and looked it up. It reminded me a lot of my mom's mac and cheese - not overly cheesy tasting.
- 2 cups dry small elbow macaroni or 2 cups pasta shells
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces American cheese, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350* Cook macaroni in medium saucepan for 8 to 10 minutes or until almost tender; drain.
- Return macaroni to saucepan.
- Add butter; stir until melted.
- Whisk together evaporated milk,eggs,mustard and pepper in medium bowl.
- Add to macaroni mixture along with cheese;stir.
- Cook over low heat,stirring constantly until cheese begins to melt.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake for ten minutes;stir.
- Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and top is lightly golden.
- Season with salt.
On 10/6/11 I was looking for a different type of Mac n' Cheese to go with my Chicken Dinner,so I went looking through my saved M & C recipes. And saw this one by our deeply missed HEP MEP, so I decided to make it. I'm glad I did, :) Except for cutting the recipe in half, it was made exactly as it was written. It had a custardy taste which wasn't what we expected,but enjoyed anyway. Thanks HEP MEP, still miss you. " Keep Smiling :) "
This was so easy to make and so yummy! It's custardy, yet still moist and cheesey. This will please adults and kids alike. Thanx for sharing, MEP. You will be missed.
This was good, but didnt stay creamy for me. Once I got it on the plate it thickened up, I think maybe Ill add more milk nexttime. Other than that it tasted great.