Recipe by HEP MEP
This is the first mac and cheese I've ever made that didn't separate and get oily for me. I saw this being made on the local news a few weeks back,so I went to the website they posted and looked it up. It reminded me a lot of my mom's mac and cheese - not overly cheesy tasting.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
On 10/6/11 I was looking for a different type of Mac n' Cheese to go with my Chicken Dinner,so I went looking through my saved M & C recipes. And saw this one by our deeply missed HEP MEP, so I decided to make it. I'm glad I did, :) Except for cutting the recipe in half, it was made exactly as it was written. It had a custardy taste which wasn't what we expected,but enjoyed anyway. Thanks HEP MEP, still miss you. " Keep Smiling :) "
- 2 cups dry small elbow macaroni or 2 cups pasta shells
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces American cheese, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350* Cook macaroni in medium saucepan for 8 to 10 minutes or until almost tender; drain.
- Return macaroni to saucepan.
- Add butter; stir until melted.
- Whisk together evaporated milk,eggs,mustard and pepper in medium bowl.
- Add to macaroni mixture along with cheese;stir.
- Cook over low heat,stirring constantly until cheese begins to melt.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake for ten minutes;stir.
- Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and top is lightly golden.
- Season with salt.