Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Geelrys is one of many South African dishes with roots in the Dutch East Indies. This sunny yellow side dish is the traditional accompaniment to Bobotie (South African Curried Meat Casserole). Enjoy!
- 4 cups water or 4 cups stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar, white or brown
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (sultanas are best)
- butter (optional)
- Add the water or stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for another 5-10 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick, fluff with a fork and serve hot.
- Optional, Stir 1-2 tablespoons of butter into the cooked rice at the end.
Delicious! My rice required a little bit more water but otherwise I followed the recipe to a t. Served with African peanut and ginger chicken (recipe nr 249625). Thanks for posting it.
Excellent stuff. I made it to go with your Bobotie. Also tagged in African Tag 10/2013. :)
This is wonderful!! So glad I tried it! Very pretty, flavorful, and easy to make! Made for ZWT7 for Team Emerald City Shakers for the Vegetarian Challenge. Served it aside a vegetarian "meatless" loaf with fried plantains for a fun African meal. Thanks for sharing