Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This spread is an amazing, versatile, whole food that is remarkably fast and simple to prepare. It's great on crackers and sandwiches or in almost any recipe that calls for dairy cheddar cheese. Spread it on buns for cheez burgers, or add a few spoonfuls to your favorite soup or sauce to turn them into cheezy delights. Adapted from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak.
- 2 cups white beans, cooked (or canned - 1 15 oz. can)
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers or 1⁄2 cup pimiento, pieces
- 6 -8 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons sesame tahini or 2 -3 tablespoons smooth cashew butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until completely smooth and evenly colored(may take a few minutes).
- Stop processor and scrape down sides of bowl as necessary during processing.
- Chill completely before serving.
- Keeps 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
- In place of the red peppers, use 1/2 cup cooked chopped carrots, or 3/4 teaspoons paprika, or 2 tbls. unsalted tomato paste.
- For an "aged cheddar" flavor, add 1-2 teaspoons light or chickpea miso.
Good and easy! It really was so simple to put together and full of flavor. While not going to fool anyone into thinking it's dairy cheese, it's simply good for what it is - a wonderful spread/dip. I also used it as the melted cheez in another recipe from that cookbook - cheez-a-roni. I posted that recipe here as receipe #450061.
This is an amazing spread! I followed the directions as written except excluded the lemon juice as I didn't have any. I mixed this in with plain mashed potatoes to add some flavor, and even ate this warm on toast with sliced tomatoes as a grilled cheese substitute with vegetable soup. Thanks for sharing!
OMG this was truly amazing! I can't believe I didn't make it before, I had it in my to try folder for ages. The only thing I changed was to omit the onion powder, otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. So easy and yummy. We both loved it. Will make it again often. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game.