Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Sweet memories. An heirloom recipe from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter (no substitutions)
- 1 cup milk
- Melt 1 cup sugar in heavy saucepan and brown slightly.
- Add boiling water and cook over low heat until sugar lumps dissolve, stirring occasionally.
- When syrup is ready, prepare dumplings.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar together; cut in butter and add milk.
- Heat caramel syrup to a rapid boil.
- Drop dough into syrup using a tablespoon, cover closely and cook without lifting cover for 12 minutes.
- Serve with syrup as a sauce.