Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Sweet memories. An heirloom recipe from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Melt 1 cup sugar in heavy saucepan and brown slightly.
- Add boiling water and cook over low heat until sugar lumps dissolve, stirring occasionally.
- When syrup is ready, prepare dumplings.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar together; cut in butter and add milk.
- Heat caramel syrup to a rapid boil.
- Drop dough into syrup using a tablespoon, cover closely and cook without lifting cover for 12 minutes.
- Serve with syrup as a sauce.