Sweet memories. An heirloom recipe from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt 1 cup sugar in heavy saucepan and brown slightly.
- 2Add boiling water and cook over low heat until sugar lumps dissolve, stirring occasionally.
- 3When syrup is ready, prepare dumplings.
- 4Sift flour, baking powder, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar together; cut in butter and add milk.
- 5Heat caramel syrup to a rapid boil.
- 6Drop dough into syrup using a tablespoon, cover closely and cook without lifting cover for 12 minutes.
- 7Serve with syrup as a sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gebrande Suiker Bol - Caramel Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.2
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.9 mg
- Sodium 499.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 5.7 g