- 4 tablespoons peanut oil or 4 tablespoons lard
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced (or put through a garlic press)
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1⁄2 cup good chili powder (preferably Gebhardts or your own homemade)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon masa harina
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is softened, but not browned.
- Stir in the bacon drippings, chili powder, cumin, oregano; then add the beef stock, a little at a time, stirring well.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes until mixture is slightly reduced and thickened. Mix the Masa Harina with a few tablespoons of water or the gravy, itself, and stir back into the gravy.
- Simmer for 10 minutes more. Taste the gravy and add salt only if you think it necessary.