Recipe by Chef Catherine Hofstad
This is from the August/September 2004 edition of Cooking Pleasures Magazine.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very good and quickly prepared, the shrimps are wonderfully garlicky! I made just as directed and we very much enjoyed this light, fragrant and delicious dish. I served this with Recipe #340978, both dishes made for PAC Spring 2009. Thank you for a lovely supper!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 lb shelled deveined, uncooked medium shrimp
- 1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed, if desired
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of the garlic; cook 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant. Add shrimp, cook 2 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring frequently. Remove shrimp from pan and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper; cook two to three minutes or until onion just begins to soften. Add remaining garlic; cook 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes, cucumber, vinegar, saffron, salt and cayenne pepper; cook 2 minutes or until heated through and tomatoes begin to release juices. Stir in shrimp; cook 1 minute or until heated through. Stir in cilantro.
- Serve over pasta or rice.