Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Lots of the vegetables that make up gazpacho soup are in this sandwich along with mozzarella cheese and a redolent mint vinegrette. I haven't made this sandwich yet, but it's on my list. I'm waiting until the basil in my planter gets prolific enough! This would be good picnic fare. I'm not sure where I got the recipe. Cooking time is actually chilling time.
- 8 ounces loaf baguette-style French bread
- 3⁄4 cup quartered small tomatoes (use yellow pear-shaped, cherry, and or or grape tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped cucumber
- 2 sllices red onions, thin slices, separated into rings
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon snipped of fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- Cut the bread in half crosswise. Slice each piece horizontally, making the bottom piece slightly larger than the top picece. Use a knife to carefully hollow out the bottom pieces, making 1/4-inch shells. (Reserve bread from centers for another use.) Set the bread shells aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, mozzarella, mint, vinegar, oil, salt, and white pepper.
- Line the bottoms of the bred shells with fresh basil leaves. fill the shells with tomato mixture. Replace tops of bread. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.