Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've been eating variations of this for ages...never realized it was a REAL recipe...until I saw it in the Better Home and Gardens Dieter's cookbook!! It's one of those recipes that you can get very creative with! Sub almost any of the items for your favorites!
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pickled jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 large loaf of crusty French bread
- In a medium bowl combine the cucumber, beans, cilantro, vinegar, oil, jalapeno pepper, chili powder and garlic.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper set aside.
- Place the tomatoes and onion slices on the lightly greased rack of a grill directly over medium coals.
- Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly charred, turning onion slices once.
- Transfer veggies to a cutting board; cool slightly and coarsely chop.
- Add chopped veggies to the cucumber mixture; toss to combine.
- Meanwhile, halve the French bread lengthwise.
- Cut each bread half crosswise into 3 pieces.
- Using a fork, hollow out the bread pieces slightly.
- Place the bread pieces, cut sides down on the rack of the grill directly over med coals.
- Grill about 1 minutes or until toasted.
- Spoon cucumber mixture into the grilled pieces.