1/1 Photo of Gazpacho Salad With Whole Grain
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
The original recipe is from "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine snd used wheat berries. I am posting it nearly as written, but please be aware that you can substitute any whole grain you want or have on hand. I eat beans or whole grains nearly every day, so, I cook up a batch (in chicken broth or vegetable broth), and store it refrigerated for up to 3 days. But I do like to vary the finished product.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup wheat berries
For the croutons
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, snipped
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, snipped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces manchego cheese or 3 ounces parmesan cheese, shaved
For the salad
- 15 ounces chickpeas, cooked rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, snipped
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, snipped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Prepare wheat berries, or other grain, according to package directions; drain and let cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 3Place bread on a baking sheet; in a small bowl, combine remaining crouton ingredients excluding salt and cheese.
- 4Brush bread with oil mixture, the sprinkle with salt; bake until bread is crisp, about 20 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle with cheese and set aside.
- 6Meanwhile combine salad ingredients in a large bowl; add wheat berries and toss.
- 7Once croutons are done, place on individual serving plates, spoon salad on top, then season with black pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gazpacho Salad With Whole Grain
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 427.3
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 957.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: