Recipe by Kookaburra
There are many recipes for gazpacho (iced tomato and cucumber soup) on Zaar but none quite like this. This is the best recipe I've ever found. If you've tried gazpacho before and been disappointed - do try this one. It's from Australian food writer, Margaret Fulton, and I've adapted it to suit my own tastes and to make it easier to make using the food processor. Purists may not like the idea of using canned tomatoes in this dish, but I find they often have more taste than the shop bought variety. Do try to make it a day ahead as this improves the flavour and allows you to serve the soup very well chilled. Prep time does not include time in the refrigerator.
- 2 (425 g) canspeeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar (red or white)
- 1 large salad red onion, diced
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled,seeded and diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the canned tomatoes, reserving the juice, and place them into a small saucepan.
- To the saucepan add the wine and stock.
- Place pan over medium heat, bring to simmering point and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs into the bowl of a food processor.
- With the motor running, add the oil through the hopper in a thin stream.
- Next, with the motor running, add the vinegar through the hopper in a thin stream.
- Now add the tomato mixture from the saucepan, together with the reserved tomato juice.
- Process until tomato mixture is pureed.
- Pour soup into a non-metal bowl and chill thoroughly (preferably overnight).
- The morning before serving (or several hours before) add the diced tomatoes, onion and cucumber to the soup.
- This soup must be served VERY COLD.
- It is excellent served with garlic flavoured croutons.