Although Gazpacho is traditionally an uncooked soup of pureed fresh vegetables, this recipe combines the chopped vegetables with pasta in the form of a salad. Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 4 ounces uncooked macaroni
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped (or yellow or orange)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons black olives, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (or 1 tsp. dried parsley)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 -4 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- whole olive (to garnish)
- sliced cucumber (to garnish)
- dill sprigs (to garnish)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt. Drain and rinse well under cold water until pasta is cool; drain well.
- Combine pasta and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours for flavors to blend. Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with whole olives, cucumber slices and dill sprigs, if desired. Can be served chilled or at room temperature.