Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious cold soup, perfect for spring and summer!
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and halved
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) jardiced pimento pepper, drained
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans tomato juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup crouton
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- In a blender combine one tomato, half the cucumber, half the onion, a green bell pepper quarter, the pimento and 1/2 cup tomato juice.
- Blend at high speed for 30 seconds to puree the vegetables.
- In a large bowl mix the pureed vegetables with remaining tomato juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, salt and ground black pepper.
- Cover mixture and refrigerate until it is well chilled (about 2 hours).
- Meanwhile saute the croutons in oil and add the garlic; transfer to a small bowl.
- Place remaining chopped tomato, cucumber, onion and green bell pepper in separate bowls.
- Serve soup in chilled bowls, garnish with chives, and serve chopped vegetables and croutons as accompaniments.