Recipe by breezermom
Gazpacho originated in Andalusia, the southern section of Spain. For the best flavor, you must be sure to use very ripe tomatoes, otherwise the taste falls flat. This recipe is from the Antigua Casa Sobrino de Botin in Madrid, and is in A Treasury of Great Recipes by Mary and Vincent Price. Prep time includes 1 hour of soaking, Cook time is chill time. Posted for ZWT.
Top Review by electriciatea
phenomenal. i made this on a sunday afternoon with some tomatoes that failed the canning process. little orange and red and yellow heirlooms, no skin and heated in water for 45 minutes. i used the juice in the quart instead of plain water. it was fantastic. i recommend playing around with the vegetables at the end, i added purple, yellow and orange carrots with green pepper. (eat a rainbow!)
overall, spiciness was spot on as-written, the thick and creamy base was a perfect complement to the bit of crunch. i served with a warm potato and tuna salad. i will make a double batch next time!
- 6 slices bread, diced
- 3 tomatoes, must be very ripe, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 quart water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 large tomatoes, must be very ripe, diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 2 slices bread, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine the six slices of diced bread, 3 very ripe chopped tomatoes, 1 chopped cucumber, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 quart of water. Let soak for 1 hour, then puree blender, half at a time, on high speed for 8 seconds. Strain through a coarse sieve into a large soup bowl.
- Add 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tbsp wine vinegar, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cumin, and 4 ice cubes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Meanwhile in separate dishes put the diced pepper, diced ripe tomato, diced cucumber. Dice the 2 slices of bread, brush with melted butter, and brown. Place your croutons in a separate dish as well.
- Serve the gazpacho in well chilled bowls. Let each person help themselves to the diced garnishes in the small dishes, sprinkling some of each into their own soup bowl.