Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Gazpacho is a classic cold tomato and vegetable soup of Spain, with different variations depending on their towns. This is thickened with almonds although it can be substituted with dried breadcrumbs. Reserve some of the diced vegetables to garnish. From the Mediterranean Collection. note: cooking time here is actually refrigeration time.
- 1 kg ripe vine tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 green peppers, cored, deseeded and chopped, red peppers can also be used
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 ounce pitted green olives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers packed in salt, rinsed
- 2 ounces ground almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 pint cold vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 pint tomato juice
- 1⁄4 pint extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 3 extra diced vegetables
- toasted sliced almonds
- Place the first 8 ingredients together (until the capers) in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Thicken the soup by blending in the almonds.
- Transfer the soup to a bowl and stir in the vinegar, sugar, cold stock, tomato juice and olive oil. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, then stir in the herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve garnished with some extra diced vegetables and toasted flaked almonds.