Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came from an Hispanic friend of mine and is a refreshing treat on a hot evening when you want to eat light. This will last in the refrigerator for up to one month.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with added puree (like Progresso)
- 1 (48 ounce) canv8 spicy vegetable juice
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 serrano pepper, minced without seeds (more or less depending on your taste for hot)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced without seeds (more or less depending on your taste for hot)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice or 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- Empty V-8 juice into a container large enough to comfortably hold 2 gallons.
- Mince garlic and chilis in food processor; then add canned tomatoes and lightly process.
- Add to V-8 juice.
- To this mixture, add remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Allow flavors to develop for at least 2 days in the refrigerator before serving.
- Serve cold with a dollop of sour cream.
- You can also set a bottle of your favorite hot sauce on the table for the daring folks.