This was originally based on the Silver Palate Gazpacho, but it has evolved over the years. I only make this in the summer, because fresh Jersey tomatoes make the dish.
- Wash and coarsely chop the tomatoes, saving the juice.
- Core, seed and coarsely chop the peppers.
- Peel, seed and coarsely chop the cucumbers.
- Dice the celery.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, tomato juice and V8 together in a small bowl.
- Puree the vegetables in small batches, using a blender or food processor. Add tomato juice mixture, as necessary. Do not puree completely -- mixture should be chunky and crunchy.
- Stir in cayenne and dill and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.