Recipe by Firehouse Cook
This was originally based on the Silver Palate Gazpacho, but it has evolved over the years. I only make this in the summer, because fresh Jersey tomatoes make the dish.
Top Review by vcurtin
I made this for the Girl Scout Food Fest (for 80 servings) it was still easy and turned out great. I've made it since then and it is the BEST gazpacho around. Thank you Firehouse Cook!
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 red onions
- 2 shallots
- 2 cucumbers
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups v 8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh dill
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and coarsely chop the tomatoes, saving the juice.
- Core, seed and coarsely chop the peppers.
- Peel, seed and coarsely chop the cucumbers.
- Dice the celery.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, tomato juice and V8 together in a small bowl.
- Puree the vegetables in small batches, using a blender or food processor. Add tomato juice mixture, as necessary. Do not puree completely -- mixture should be chunky and crunchy.
- Stir in cayenne and dill and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.