Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple and elegant cheese soup. This year I served it with my Easter ham. I got this fabulous recipe from my mother-in-law who served it for Christmas Eve dinner. It is a lovely company soup-- rich and creamy with a nice apricot color, which looks great with the dark portobellos scattered on top. Definitely a "lick the bowl" type of soup (if no-one's looking, of course!). Great as leftovers, but not so good to freeze b/c of the cream.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 green onions, with green tops sliced
- 2 grated carrots
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 portabella mushroom cap, diced
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 2 cans cream of potato soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Saute veggies in butter.
- Put into a large pot.
- Saute portobello separately, set aside, and add at the very end.
- Add broth and Tabasco sauce to pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add canned soup, cheese, and sour cream and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add sauted portobellos and allow to heat through.