I was experimenting with some ideas that I had for making candy for my holiday baskets, and came up with this twist on peanut brittle. I loved it, and found it so addicting, that I had to send it all home with my stepdaughter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large heavy pan combine: sugar, Karo Syrup and water.
- 2Boil this mixture until it reaches 238 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- 3Then add raw peanuts. 1/4 tsp salt. Continue to cook, stirring frequently.
- 4Continue cooking and stirring until thermometer reaches 290 degrees - hard crack - remove from the burner and add: vanilla and butter.
- 5Quickly stir together and add: baking soda and cayenne.
- 6Mix well and, working quickly, pour onto buttered cookie sheet. Use two if you want it super thin. Spread quickly and let cool.
- 7Break into pieces and store in airtight tin or canister.
- 8Gnote: I have doubled this recipe but mostly I make a batch and a half as it fits in the pan better when boiling up.
- 9I have made this with cashews and other nuts, too. Good stuff and not hard on the teeth!
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gayle's Spicy Peanut Brittle
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.8
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 390.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 41.9 g
- Protein 6.3 g