Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was experimenting with some ideas that I had for making candy for my holiday baskets, and came up with this twist on peanut brittle. I loved it, and found it so addicting, that I had to send it all home with my stepdaughter.
- In a large heavy pan combine: sugar, Karo Syrup and water.
- Boil this mixture until it reaches 238 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Then add raw peanuts. 1/4 tsp salt. Continue to cook, stirring frequently.
- Continue cooking and stirring until thermometer reaches 290 degrees - hard crack - remove from the burner and add: vanilla and butter.
- Quickly stir together and add: baking soda and cayenne.
- Mix well and, working quickly, pour onto buttered cookie sheet. Use two if you want it super thin. Spread quickly and let cool.
- Break into pieces and store in airtight tin or canister.
- Gnote: I have doubled this recipe but mostly I make a batch and a half as it fits in the pan better when boiling up.
- I have made this with cashews and other nuts, too. Good stuff and not hard on the teeth!