A recipe so authentic that I had to convert from grams and translate from French! These waffles are rich and delicious (don't bother with syrup!), and the basic recipe is from a Belgian friend of mine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Separate the 4 eggs, adding the yolks to the sugar and setting the whites aside for later use.
- 2Add the flour and butter to the yolk and sugar mixture, first by stirring and then by working the mixture into a uniform dough with your hands.
- 3Beat the egg whites until they are fluffy: when you lift the beater from the whites, soft peaks should form and then fall back, not holding much shape.
- 4Crumble the dough and drop the pieces into the egg whites.
- 5Stir by mashing the pieces of dough into the whites with a spoon, then stirring until a uniform consistency is achieved.
- 6Heat up a waffle iron.
- 7When it is hot (but not too hot), drop the batter onto the iron in the desired serving size.
- 8I usually get about 12 waffles roughly 4-5 inches in diameter from this recipe.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gaufres (Authentic Belgian Waffles)
Serving Size: 1 (1195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.2
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.7 mg
- Sodium 176.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 6.7 g