Recipe by bmcnichol
One of my favorite caseroles that is quick and easy to make.
Top Review by children from A to Z
Made this last night, everyone cleaned their plates. I did have to microwave it for 5 min. after the rice sat for 8 min. I used brown minute rice and wasn't done. After microwaving for 5 min. It was done. Followed the rest of the recipe and came out delicious!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble the beef and mix with onion and pepper in a microwave dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 41/2 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring every 2 minutes and drain.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and chili powder.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice.
- Transfer to a shallow dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let stand for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and microwave on high for another minute or until cheese is melted.