Recipe by Aparna Anurag
one of very famous Rajasthani recipes that most of you might have heard about. It is called Gatte Ki Sabzi. This is one the recipes of Rajasthan without which a Rajasthani thali is simply incomplete.
- 236.59 ml besan flour or 236.59 ml bengal gram flour
- 2.46 ml turmeric powder
- 4.92 ml red chili powder
- 4.92 ml kasuri methi
- 1.23 ml ajwain or 1.23 ml carrom seeds
- 9.85 ml oil
- water, to bind dough
- oil, gatte (for frying)
- 236.59 ml curds or 236.59 ml yogurt
- 2 tomatoes
- 9.85 ml red chili powder
- 9.85 ml coriander powder
- 9.85 ml turmeric powder
- 9.85 ml cumin powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml hing or 2.46 ml asafoetida powder
- salt, as per taste
- 29.58 ml ghee
- coriander leaves (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- For Gatte:.
- 1)In a large bowl, mix besan flour, salt to taste, ajwain seeds, kasuri methi, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mix well.
- 2)Now keep sprinkling water and knead to form into a firm and smooth dough. Add 2 tsp of oil to the dough and knead again. Shape the dough into cylindrical rolls .
- 3)In a wide large bowl add 3 cup's of water and let it boil, once the water starts to boil, put the roll into the water and let the roll cook for about 15 minutes at high flame.
- 4)Once the gatte roll is cooked, remove the gatte separately from the water and let it cool down. Once cooled, slice the gatte into 1/2 inch round pieces.
- 5)Once you have sliced the gatte's, it is optional to fry the gatte's in oil. If you are frying the gatte's they may break up in the oil a little. After frying, they become little crisper, this way you can ensure that the gatte's are fully cooked.
- For Gravy:.
- 1)Heat a cup of water, put the 2 tomatoes in it and let it boil for 5 minutes, so that the tomato skin peel's a little. Drain the tomatoes, cool them, peel it's skin, grind them into a smooth tomato puree and set aside.
- 2)Heat a pan, add ghee, cumin seeds, hing and roast well. Then add the tomato puree and let it boil well and gets thickened for about 1 or 2 minutes. Reduce the flame.
- 3)Take a cup of curd and beat the curd well. Now add this beaten curd to the gravy in low flame and mix well. Then add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, corriander powder, cumin powder, Garam Masala (optional) to the gravy and mix well.
- 4)Now add the Gatte and let the mix keep bubbling in low flame for about 5-10 minutes, till you see the oil on the sides of the gravy.
- 5)Remove the gravy from slow flame and garnish with corriander leaves.