Recipe by Gatorbek
The cumin, lime, and cilantro combined with the kick of red pepper makes this a great, Cuban-style dish. Serve with some crusty bread, and you're good to go!
Top Review by DustyPyatt
This was wonderful! I did this as an OAMC meal. I dumped all the ingredients for the black beans in a large freezer bag and sealed it, then did the same for the pork. I shook it to coat and then squeezed all the air out. I put the pork, black beans and the yellow rice into a 3rd large freezer bag, printed your recipe then froze it. I thawed it overnight in the fridge and then followed directions. Awesome!
- 2 (878.83 g) can black beans, NOT drained
- 59.14 ml white onion, finely diced
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 29.58 ml fresh oregano, chopped (or sub 1 tsp dried if needed)
- 44.37 ml fresh cilantro, chopped (only fresh or frozen, not dried!)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh lime juice
- 453.59 g pork, cut into 1 inch pieces (I buy pre-cut stew pork)
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml flour
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 453.59 g package yellow rice (I prefer Vigo)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare yellow rice according to package directions.
- To prepare the black beans, combine the first seven ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer on a back burner, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients (flour, cumin, oregano, cayenne, onion powder, and garlic powder) in a 1 gallon zipper bag.
- Add pork to bag and shake vigorously to coat.
- Remove pork from bag and add to hot oil.
- Brown on all sides, stirring until done.
- Remove pork to a plate and turn off heat to skillet.
- Pour black bean mixture into skillet to absorb pork drippings, stir gently until combined.
- To serve, put a scoop of yellow rice on each plate, topped with a generous ladle of black beans.
- Top with pork and garnish with lime wedge and sprig of cilantro.
- Serve with crusty bread.