Recipe by Mysterygirl
This from the restaurant in KC. I got the recipe when Mr Gates was on Martha Stewart.
Top Review by rawcalls
Excellent recipe and VERY close to the real thing. I added a 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 cup water and simmered it on the stove for 5 minutes and it is almost perfect in my opinion. Thanks very much for sharing this recipe! I have wanted it for years!!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 quarts ketchup
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar, salt, celery seed, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks or in freezer for up to 6 months.