Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
You must have Baked Beans with BBQ ribs. I have previously posted the rub & sauce and how to put them together, here's the side dish.
- 2 (55 ounce) cans baked beans
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons your favorite barbecue rub (Gates & Sons KC Rub recipe posted on the site)
- 3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (Gates & Sons KC BBQ Sauce recipe posted on the site)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- In a cast-iron pot, combine all ingredients.
- Cook on the grill, stirring occasionally, until hardened “crust” forms on top of beans, about 20 minutes.
Without a doubt, these are the best beans I've ever had - and so simple! I make these up whenever we have company or go for a potluck and everyone raves about them - and they can't believe they're made with canned beans! No need to modify this recipe, it's a winner.
Best beans ever. Had them twice at a friends home in Kansas City and once at Gates BBQ in Independence. Asked if they were available in grocery stores. Was told "No but the recipe is on the internet." Shocking generosity. Thank you Mr. Gates.
Since my first review only showed stars, I will try this again! Cut this recipe in 1/2, used Gates sauce and Gates rub and they were the best beans I've ever made at home! I am a huge fan of Gates BBQ and eat there each time we visit KC. Mysterygirl, thank you so much for posting this recipe here. If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would.