Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
found on a food blog
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided in half
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, divided in half
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, divided in half
- 150 g unsalted butter, room temperature, divided in half
- 1 cup caster sugar, divided in half
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt or 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream, divided in half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided in half
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease a 25cm spring form cake pan, or alternatively prepare 12 small paper cake cases.
- Prepare the chocolate batter first. In a food processor mix together half of the sugar, butter until fluffy.
- Add in two eggs one at a time, pulsing in between each addition.
- Add in half of the yogurt and the vanilla extract, pulse again.
- In a medium bowl, combine half of the flour, baking powder, baking soda and all of the cocoa powder.
- Add the flour mixture into the food processor and mix again until the flour is just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, or if you are using the paper cake cases, then using an ice cream scoop, place one scoop of batter into each paper case.
- Place the chocolate batter into the fridge.
- Rinse the bowl of the food processor and prepare the pistachio batter.
- Mix together the rest of the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the last two eggs one at a time, pulsing in between each addition.
- Add the remaining yogurt and pulse again.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the flour, baking powder, baking soda and all of the chopped pistachios.
- Add this flour mixture into the batter and process again until the flour is just combined.
- Remove the chocolate batter from the fridge and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly and liberally over the surface of the batter.
- Gently pour over the pistachio batter on top of the chocolate chips, or alternatively if you are using the paper cases, then use an ice scoop to place the pistachio batter on top.
- Smooth out the surface using a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes, or if you are making the individual cakes, then for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.