Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
a cajun treat from todays NY Times.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, slightly softened at room temperature, more for buttering pan
- 2 cups flour, more for pan
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups cane syrup, preferably Steen's, more for serving
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans, for serving
- whipped cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thickly butter and flour a tube pan, large loaf pan or 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Mix in syrup and eggs.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add half of this mixture and half the buttermilk to syrup mixture and mix.
- Repeat, then mix in vanilla, if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45 to 60 minutes, until springy to the touch.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Serve in slices or squares, with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkling of chopped nuts and a drizzle of cane syrup on top.