Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this recipe for my family when I went home to Japan for Summer holidays. It's easy for me to make. It's OK if this gets a few cracks in the top.
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 30 ml cream, heated to skin temperature
- 40 g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon self raising flour
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 40 g sugar
- 40 g sugar, extra
- confectioners' sugar, to serve (icing sugar)
- Preheat your oven to 170c.
- Grease a 23cm cake tin.
- Melt the chocolate and cream in a double boiler over gently simmering water, stir to mix.
- Add the chocolate/cream mix to the butter and stir.
- Set aside, not in the fridge.
- In another bowl, put the egg yolk and first 40g of sugar, stir until the egg yolk gets a creamy colour.
- Mix this into the chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into this mixture, and mix through.
- In another bowl, put the egg whites, beat for 1 minute and add the extra sugar and beat until stiff.
- Add 1/3 of beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture, stir, then add the rest of the egg white gently.
- Put it in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 50-60 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.
- Serve with some icing sugar dusted over, and some cream over it.