1 hr 10 mins
Popular in French Canadian regions of Canada. In this indulgent cake, apples are caramelized before being baked in buttery batter. It has an update with salted caramel sauce that lets guests indulge even further. The caramel sauce takes about 12 mins to make. Times shown below are for the cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled, divided, plus more, room temperature, for pan
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 4 firm tart apples (such as Pink Lady or Braeburn, about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- creme fraiche (for serving)
- 1For salted caramel sauce:.
- 2Bring sugar and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- 3Boil, swirling pan occasionally and brushing down sides with a wet pastry brush, until mixture turns a deep amber color, 8–10 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and slowly add cream (mixture will bubble vigorously). Return to medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and mix in butter and salt.
- 6Pour caramel sauce into a small heatproof jar or bowl; let cool.
- 7For cake:.
- 8Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350°F Butter and flour cake pan; set aside.
- 9Heat 2 tablespoons melted butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 10Add apples, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar, and cook, tossing occasionally, until apples are golden brown, 10–12 minutes.
- 11Arrange half of the apples in the bottom of prepared cake pan so most of it is covered (a few gaps are okay).
- 12Whisk baking powder, salt, lemon zest, 1 1/4 cups flour, and remaining 1 cup sugar in a large bowl.
- 13Whisk in eggs and remaining 10 tablespoons melted butter until smooth.
- 14Pour half of batter over apples in an 8-inch diameter cake pan, top with remaining apples, then pour remaining batter over.
- 15Bake cake until top is golden and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 40–50 minutes.
- 16Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool slightly; turn out onto rack and let cool.
- 17Serve cake with caramel sauce and creme fraiche.
- 18DO AHEAD: Caramel sauce can be made 5 days ahead. Cover and chill. Cake can be baked 1 day ahead. Keep wrapped tightly at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gateau Breton Aux Pommes
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.1
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 147.3 mg
- Sodium 445.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 50.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g