24 hrs 50 mins
This was Mama's go to recipe to impress. I hope you enjoy it as much as her guests did. This recipe is over 50 years old and is being typed from her notes. Please note that you will need two envelopes of Knox gelatin. Not sure of the ounce measurements so ignore the ounce measurement below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes plain gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/4 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grated orange rind (no pith)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 angel food cake
- 1 (7 ounce) can mandarin oranges, soaked in
- apricot brandy
- 1 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 1Soften the 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water and 1/4 cup orange juice.
- 2Set aside.
- 3In the top of a double boiler mix 1 cup orange juice, 2 Tbsps lemon juice, 1 cup sugar and 4 beaten egg yolks, 1/2 tsp salt, and 3 Tbsps orange rind.
- 4Stir constantly over boiling water unti it thickens a bit and looks smooth. (It will not get very think so don't cook too long).
- 5Add the gelatin and stir until disolved.
- 6Set aside to cool.
- 7Beat 4 egg whites with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff.
- 8Set aside.
- 9Whip 1 cup whipping cream until firm.
- 10When the orange mixture is cool and just beginning to set around the edges beat with a rotary beater until smooth and a little fluffy.
- 11Fold in the egg whites and then the whipped cream.
- 12In a large wet bowl (you could line with plastic wrap) pour the mixture and press the cake into it. (Mama would halve the cake and tear the cake the remainder into pieces and fill the hole of the angel food cake).
- 13Press down. It may be necessary to plate on top to keep it compressed.
- 14Let set completely in the refrigerator.
- 15Unmold on a cake plate.
- 16Garnish with the madarin oranges and slivered almonds.
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gateau a L'orange
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.8
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 117.2 mg
- Sodium 460.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 53.6 g
- Protein 10.5 g