Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Gary Rhodes Recipe
- 350 -450 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 -3 ounces buffalo mozzarella
- olive oil, for dressing
- coarse sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- brown sugar, for sprinkling
- 4 lemon wedges
For the basil oil
- 50 g basil leaves
- 100 ml olive oil
- Preheat the grill.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes horizontally, placing them on a very shallow large serving dish or plate.
- Slice the mozzarella reasonably thinly.
- To make the basil oil, place the basil leaves in a small processor.
- Warm the olive oil and pour over the leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper and blend the basil to a purée.
- Strain through a sieve and set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes, placing a nugget of sea salt on each half.
- Grind some pepper on the top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place under a hot grill.
- Once they begin to sizzle, remove from grill and place mozzarella on top of the tomatoes.
- Replace dish under the grill, until cheese has melted.
- Serve with basil oil and bread.