Recipe by - Carla -
Gary Rhodes Recipe: "Risottos in general have become so popular, with almost unlimited flavors and variations to choose from. This one is slightly different, having mashed potato added to create a more than creamy texture". Serves 8 as an appetizer or 4 as a main course
- 1 1⁄4 cups arborio rice
- 2 bunches scallions (green onions)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large potatoes, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 1⁄3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 -2 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup per portion)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- virgin olive oil, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred the scallions finely, separating the white from the green.
- Blanch the green scallion in boiling water until tender, then strain.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the chopped onion with the shredded whites of scallion.
- Cook without letting them brown for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- While the onions and rice are cooking, heat the stock.
- Add the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring the rice continuously.
- Once the rice has absorbed the stock, add another ladleful and continue to cook and stir; repeat until the rice is tender.
- This process will take 20-30 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, boil the diced potatoes until tender.
- To finish the risotto add the mashed potatoes and Parmesan, if using, to lift all the flavors, with the diced potatoes and greens of scallions.
- Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste; add a little more stock, if necessary, to give a looser, creamier consistency.
- Add the mozzarella and let it melt into the risotto or - as I like to do - serve the risotto in bowls and sprinkle the mozzarella on top.
- Put the bowls under the broiler to melt the cheese for a few seconds.
- Now just drizzle with olive oil and serve.
- Note: You could add half the mozzarella to the risotto and use the remainder to sprinkle over the top.
- You can also add an extra 2 - 4 tablespoons butter to enrich the dish.