Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
Adapted from The Greatest Loser.
FOR THE FISH
- 1 lb firm white fish fillet
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
FOR THE TACOS
- 8 high fiber whole wheat tortillas or 8 stone-ground corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced and slightly mashed
- 1⁄3 cup shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend or 1⁄3 cup shredded low-fat monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- hot sauce (optional)
- Place fish fillets in a shallow pan and sprinkle with the lime juice and next 4 seasonings.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill or oven to 375.
- Cut a piece of heavy-duty foil large enough to hold the fish fillets and spray with non-stick olive oil spray.
- Close the foil and seal tightly.
- Place the foil package on the grill or in the oven and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and heat gently for about 2 minutes.
- Spread about 1/8 of the mashed avocado on each tortilla, top with fish and add remaining toppings.
- Fold and serve immediately. Enjoy.
I've never made fish tacos before, so this was a nice change and a different way to get more fish in my diet. I did find the fish had a fairly 'fishy' flavor, but that was probably due to the frozen tilapia that I used rather than the recipe. I fried the fish in a frying pan with some olive oil spray since it isn't grilling weather. I also left out salsa and added tomatoes. Easy quick dinner. Made for My 3 Chefs.