Recipe by Chocolatl
From Sra, Maria Luisa Espinosa de Rodriguez. Adapted from My Mexico, by Diana Kennedy. The original uses small pickled yellow chiles, but suggests the jalapenos as being more readily available. Cook time does not include standing time.
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or lard, if you prefer)
- 1 lb potato, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (peeling optional)
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- pickled jalapeno pepper, quartered, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup water (approximate)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes and salt, and cook until just beginning to turn brown.
- Add onion.
- Cook until onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add jalapenos and water.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender and moist, about 15 minutes.
- If there is too much liquid, uncover and cook for a few minutes more.
- Cover and set aside for 30 minutes before serving.