Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
One of the first dishes I learned to prepare after moving out of my parents' home, many years ago. I loved pita bread and this smooth bean paste was perfect on it. Of course in the twenty years since, hummus has become ubiquitous; in every grocery store. But this simple dish is how you make it for yourself. Try serving it with a drizzle of chili or basil oil.
- 907.18 g garbanzo beans (canned)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 118.29 ml tahini
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- Peel the garlic and drain the liquid from the Garbonzo beans, reserving a cup of the liquid for step 4, below.
- Combine the beans, garlic, salt, and tahini in a blender and start to puree.
- Gradually drizzle in the oil, followed by the lemon juice while the blender continues to do its work. NOTE: You may have to do this in three batches depending on the size and power of your blender.
- Slowly add the reserved bean juice until you get a consistency like smooth paste.
- Serve with Pita bread.