Recipe by ElleFirebrand
From "The Everything Fondue" Book. This garlicky fondue is great for cool-weather entertaining. Posted for ZWT 7.
- 1 head garlic, small head
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove outer skin from garlic, but leave head intact. Rub with olive oil and wrap in heavy foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Allow to cool, then separate cloves and squeeze garlic into small bowl.
- Heat wine and lemon juice in a saucepan until hot, but not boiling.
- Add shredded cheeses to wine and lemon juice in saucepan in 4 batches, stirring in a figure-eight motion, until each addition is melted. Add roasted garlic to cheese and mix until well-blended. Season with black pepper and salt, to taste. Heat fondue until bubbly.
- Dissolve cornstarch into brandy and stir into fondue.Simmer for 2 minutes, then pour fondue into fondue pot and place over heating source.
- Serve with sliced baguette and/or sausages and your favorite fondue vegetables.