Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you have overripe, wrinkled or squishy tomatoes around, use them up, so long as they don't have any bad spots. Don't worry about the quanity of garlic....it will mellow as it cooks
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 907.18 g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 946.36 ml chicken or 946.36 ml vegetable stock
- 396.89 g crushed tomatoes
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- 118.29 ml milk, half & half or 118.29 ml whipping cream
- In a medium stockpot, heat oil.
- Saute the onion and garlic for 5 - 8 minutes or until soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another minute or two, then add the stock and pureed tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and seasonings. Remove soup from the heat and puree in the pot using a hand held immersion blender, or transfer in batches to a blender to puree until smooth.
- Blend in cream.