Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you have overripe, wrinkled or squishy tomatoes around, use them up, so long as they don't have any bad spots. Don't worry about the quanity of garlic....it will mellow as it cooks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 lbs tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 cups chicken or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 14 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup milk, half & half or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- In a medium stockpot, heat oil.
- Saute the onion and garlic for 5 - 8 minutes or until soft and starting to turn golden.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another minute or two, then add the stock and pureed tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add sugar and seasonings. Remove soup from the heat and puree in the pot using a hand held immersion blender, or transfer in batches to a blender to puree until smooth.
- Blend in cream.