Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
From Cooking Light Magazine. Serve these hearty stewed beans with a nice salad and some crusty French bread toasted with parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped (or orange)
- 1 tablespoon bottled garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced and undrained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in water, sage, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Nice change from the usual side dish. I had to use white kidney beans, as my local grocer didn't have the cannellini beans. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag Game 2011. :)